Latest Posts

The Bookstore

By 20:19:00 , , , , , , , , , , , , ,


The book shop is the best shop in town.... and one of the most dangerous places for me to go, whether I have any money to spend or not. We are friends with the shop owner and I just enjoy being in there, with all the books! I may have walked out without a book once.... maybe... I took some photos last time we went, to go with a silly rhyme I made up. So come with me and take a tour of our local bookstore. Or at least many of the more interesting shelves.


 

Just to note: I definitely don't recommend all the books in these photos. They are just photos of the books in the second hand book shop. Some of the books are great ones, others well, they are not...





Last time I went I also got talking to another customer there about photography, he was a Nikon person though, not a Canon. I say this with a smile and believing that both are quite equal. I happened to join the Canon side because my photographer friend, who recommended cameras to buy, was one, hence so am I. Ah book and photography loving people. 
 

Books of every genre, are piled floor to ceiling, and stacked haphazardly. It is rather interesting if I find one I want near the bottom of a pile, which has happened before. 


I also managed to only walk out with one book when I had walked in with two, I felt very proud of myself. But here is the rhyme with I titled "The Bookstore" because it sounded nicer than book shop.


The Bookstore


If I only ever went to the bookstore
When I had enough money
When I had a enough shelf space
Well it would not be funny

If I only went to the bookstore 
Having finished all my books
In even my room at least
Where they pile on shelves and in nooks

If I only went to the bookstore 
To flick through well loved pages
When I'd read everything in my house 
Well that would take too many ages

If I only went to the bookstore 
When I had lost my library card
Well in that case I'd never get to the bookstore
Anyway, reading every book in my house, that would be too hard













There are almost new books, books so old they are falling apart, and every book in between, classics and bestsellers of the last few years. Books, books, everywhere, just asking to be given homes.



Do you have a second hand book store in your town?
How often do you go?
Did you see any books you really like?

You Might Also Like

14 comments

  1. I love that shop! It can be rather hard though to find anything as, even though there are _sections_ the books tend to spill out of any designated boundaries that may have been set to them at some point in the past. I have a feeling though, that if you had the patience and the time to spend a few hours in there to sort through a few of the piles, you would find more than a couple real treasures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I always keep my eyes open wherever I am in the shop. The back room is the worst though... But I have found a few nice books in there that have not yet made their way to the rest of the shop. Or there was the copy of the book thief that I found near the middle of a tower of books...... that was interesting.... I almost did not see it... and getting it out, well I managed.

      Delete
  2. It looks a like a wonderland. Your photos are beautiful.
    I love bookshops, but we don't go to any very often. We do go to the library a lot though, which makes up for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It helps that I drive myself there a lot of the time..... any excuse to go really. I do like the library too, but there is something about owning a good story.

      Delete
  3. Love the black and white pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whoah. ...Just, wow. That's actually really amazing. *drools over all the books*
    I don't go to bookstores as much as I would like to -- libraries are more my type of thing. If I absolutely LOVE a book, I'll buy it on Amazon (cause it's usually cheaper) or get it at a Half-Price books. (Not sure if you have any of those near you.)
    *has the need to go to a bookstore, now* :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I have never even heard of Half-Price books.... an American shop I presume. But the books in this store are around $5 each, and a bit more or less depending on size and condition..... except if they happen to be a first edition of an old book..... then they are a lot more. I just love this bookstore! I also often buy things there, read them, then either keep them if I liked them or take them back.

      Delete
  5. These pictures are awesome! i love the way you used filters to get the rustic look in some of the images. the black and white are such nice touches. i've never been to a bookstore like this - i've only been to the chain in canada and it doesn't have nearly the amount of personality this place does.

    i'm living through your pictures

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, that place had personality indeed, it is only small, but there are so many books!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OKAY BUT FIRST OF ALL YOUR PHOTOGRAPHY IS BRILLIANT. And secondly, I seriously want to visit this bookstore!! :D I love going into bookstores, particularly second hand ones, and scoring epic books for epic prices. I've never had the courage to take a camera in before, though, so that is so so awesome. I ADORE THIS POST. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I am a professional photographer, and we are great friends with the store owner.... I buy so many books from her.... She said "take as many photos as you want and post them everywhere.. just as long as they did not have me in them". It is good advertising for her too anyway.

      Delete
  8. Ahhhhh! I want a book store where I live!! The nearest one is 2 hours away :( But it's so cool that one opened near you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I am blessed to have it so close.... though maybe having too many books is not a blessing..... then again it is better than to little!

      Delete