Latest Posts

Bird Watching

By 17:08:00 ,

I just took part in The Great Backyard Bird Count. It started on the 14th and ended on the 17th. In those four days I recorded 40 bird species. 

Miltletoebird

1 Australian Wood Duck
2 Australasian Grebe
3 Australian Pelican
4 White-faced Heron
5 Wedge-tailed Eagle
6 Purple Swamphen
7 Masked Lapwing
8 Crested Pigeon
Mistletoebird
9 Tawny Frogmouth
10 White-throated Needletail
11 Laughing Kookaburra
12 Australian Hobby
13 Yellow-tailed Black-Cockatoo
14 Galah
15 Little Corella
16 Sulphur-crested Cockato
Yellow Thornbill
17 Rainbow Lorikeet
18 Eastern Rosella
19 Australian King-Parrot
20 Satin Bowerbird
21 Superb Fairy-wren
22 Noisy Miner
23 Black-chinned Honeyeater
24 Blue-faced Honeyeater
25 Noisy Friarbird
26 Speckled Warbler
27 Yellow-rumped Thornbill
28 Yellow Thornbill
29 Weebill
30 Grey-crowned Babbler
Male Galah and female Galah
31 Pied Butcherbird
32 Australian Magpie
33 Pied Currawong
34 Black-faced Cuckooshri
35 Willie Wagtail
36 Grey Fantail
37 Magpie-lark
38 Australian Raven
39 Common Myna
40 Mistletoebird



Pied Currawong

A few of which I had never seen here before. like the Mistletoebird and White-throated Needletail. Thewe was a photography competition too. The problem was the photos had to be taken within those four days, and only on one of those four days did the sun decide it would pop out for a while. The rest of the time clouds made it rather unsuitable for getting a good photo.... I got some ok ones but none I really, really like.

Superb Fairy Wren

Australian Wood Ducks

But I did have a lot of fun trying to identify birds, well I knew what most were, but some took me quite a while to work out. One bird I could never work out though. Jane came Walking one time and Samuel another. Other than those two times I went a-birding by myself, with my camera, pen and note book.




Satin Bowerbird



It was a world wide bird watch but mostly Americans did it. There are a lot more Americans than Australians anyway. Still a lot of Australians did it and a few from NSW. And in these stats you can see me! In Australia as a whole I'm twelfth in checklists, but in species I am right at the very bottom... off the page actually. I enjoyed it and will probably do it next year too. All that walking probably did me good. Much better than siting at the computer, school desk or lying on my bed reading all day!

You Might Also Like

0 comments