Latest Posts

Wallpaper Truth

By 18:20:00 , ,


I wrote a poem the other day . It didn't really work. But I really liked two lines of it "His words are not just simply true they are truth itself". So I had to do something with them. I also took this photo yesterday ...I think. Tis very hard to catch birds in flight so I am really happy with this shot. BTW the bird is a Sulphur Crested Cockatoo.

I suppose the 'sulphur' part of; Sulphur Crested Cockatoo comes from sulphur being yellow. Other than that there are not many similarities. When Sulphur burns it emits a blue flame.... I have not tried burning Sulphur Crested Cockatoo (will henceforth refer to as SCC) but I do not think it will burn blue, more likely black. Sulphur melts at 115.2 °C... I think a SCC would cook but not melt. Molten Sulphur is red but as I said before I don't think a SCC would melt easily, twould be black. Sulphurs biggest use is in agriculture to give nutrients to plants, whereas a SCC destroys plants. They bite off small branches and ring bark big ones, so that in wind like we have been having recently they fall down. This sometimes leaves hollows that the SCC can nest in. SCC also seem to like to destroy sunflowers....we have even lost some we grew under netting. Sulphur is insoluble in water. In this case I think the SCC would drown. which would not be very nice, they are such beautiful if cheeky birds. Sulphur is used in concrete and asphalt.... well lets just say SCC is not. How in the world did I get to that?


Stop I put in a complaint! You can't do this to me!

An interesting thing about sulphur: In the 1800s, mothers in Britain often gave their children a spoonful of sulphur and molasses as a spring tonic. Apparently it isn't poisonous....still. Eating a SCC might me.... Indigenous Australians could have though.....



I do not see why they should be called Sulphur Crested Cockatoos. Why not Banana Cockatoos? Then you only need to write two words, but of course three things look better to the eye. So it could be Banana Top Cockatoos. Their crests are shaped and coloured like a banana. Or Lemon Crested Cockatoos...or... id better stop this could get crazy.


Sulphur Crested Cockatoos are meant to eat; berries, seeds, nuts, bark and roots, they also seem to want to eat other things too. At least the SCC chew on other things like; bird feeders, gutters, rocks (yes they are strange birds), wires and probably anything else that is slightly edible looking (or that people would find it annoying to have chewed on). Sometimes a large flock of them will settle all over a tree, and make it look as if white flowers had just blossomed. Really what is happening is things are being destroyed. If one walks underneath a tree covered in SCC you instantly become a target, twigs, nuts, bark and other things will probably start falling on and all around you.


Apparently female SCC can be told apart from males because the females have red-brown eyes and the males have darker brown eyes. I must have only ever got close to male birds though, their eyes look black to me. So basically the male and female birds can't be told apart. 


And this was meant to be a short post...... I think I got rather carried away. Their eyes do look black!

You Might Also Like

0 comments