Latest Posts

Books: Rangers Apprentice

By 11:34:00 , , ,

Last year I read 90 books, that I remembered to record. Both my parents also read books to me and my sisters. I read two series last year (and a few trilogies), the Rangers Apprentice series by John Flanagan and the Artemis Fowl series by Eoin Colfer. The Artemis Fowl books were fast paced and the way it portrays the fairy people is really fun, the books do get a bit strange nearer the end of the series, but I enjoyed them greatly. 

The Rangers Apprentice series I enjoyed even more. When the final book of the series came out in October I stayed up rather late. Well technically I went to sleep sometime the next day. One of the things I enjoyed about Rangers Apprentice is the dialog. The characters  insult each other in such an Australian way. In one line of the book, the man characters Halt and Will are in a foreign country and those people don't understand how the insults can be friendly. In the foreign country wars might start over such comments. 

“Ah, Signor Halt,' he said uncertainly, 'you are making a joke, yes?'

'He is making a joke, no,' Will said. 'But he likes to think he is making a joke, yes.” ― John Flanagan, The Emperor of Nihon-Ja

The Rangers Apprentice books are very quotable. I don't think it is possible for a day to go past without at least one quote from them. Though I don't think one quote is very correct, it is more like lot of quotes... which at times can drive me crazy.  Horace is another main character. 

"I don't snore", Horace said, with dignity. Will raised his eyebrows. "Is that so?" he said. "Then in that case, you'd better chase out that colony of walruses who are in the tent with you...of course you snore." ― John Flanagan, The Siege of Macindaw


"Fighting positions, please, ladies...'
'That's debatable,' Halt said in an undertone to Will as they stood watching...
'The 'fighting' part or the 'ladies' part?' Will replied with a grin.

Halt looked at him and shook his head. 'Definitely the 'ladies,'' he said. 'There's no debate about the 'fighting.''― John Flanagan, The Emperor of Nihon-Ja


"Oh, if you could have seen yourself!” he wheezed. “Your face! Your face! It was priceless!"― John Flanagan, Erak's Ransom

That's debatable is a favorite of my sister Jane. And "Your face," is often used by anyone in the family. Even my parents can quote some parts, because we have quoted them so many times already.



My sister Jane has actually ordered the whole series of the RA books, and she is planing on getting some of John Flanagan's other book series "Brotherband" too. We are looking forward to brotherband books 4 and 5 and I could be wrong but did I see something about RA prequels? Problem with rumors is one can't know if they are true or not. I own the first bortherband book and the RA book "Kings of Clonmel".

The name of the 4th brotherband book is "Slaves of Socorro", Socorro is mentioned in the Royal Ranger as a place where slaves are sold even though slavery is meant to be illegal. I found a synopsis of Slaves of Socorro here. I can only guess the ranger who is helping them is Gilan, since John Flanagan said he would appear in the next books.

You Might Also Like

0 comments