Latest Posts

Bonkers Bout Books

By 21:02:00 , ,

This post was inspired by Olivia  and this blog post. Which was in fact inspired by someone else. 


Do you snack while you read? 
Sometimes, a bit of slice or scotch finger, milk arrowroot or some other sort of biscuit.

What is your favourite drink while reading?
Water or milk in Summer. Water or a warm maple milk in winter.

Do you tend to mark your books as you read, or does the thought of writing in books horrify you?
No, I have written my name in some books, but I couldn’t bear writing in most of them. I do record all the books I read in an excel spread sheet, if you don’t know what I am talking about by excel spread sheet then... Well, never mind, you are obviously not computer minded, (they are recorded on the computer, never mind how, they just are.) I also often write some thoughts on the book there too, the date finished and rate it out of five.

How do you keep your place while reading a book?
O I have a pile of bookmarks near my bed...... But I am not always just near my bed when I need a bookmark..... Tissues (clean), hair bands, other books, pens, bits of paper.....



Are you the type of person who reads to the end of a chapter, or can you stop anywhere?
I read until I really need to stop. If the book is not interesting I will stop anywhere, but if it is interesting.....Well I don’t stop. I read it till I’m finished or (the dreaded thing that happens so often) until someone tells me I need to stop and have tea, do chores, or I am nearly falling asleep on the book, or I realize it is actually 10:30 (or later) and I’ve got school work/church/something tomorrow, (not that I would sleep in, but I can get tired.....sometimes.)

Are you the type of person to throw a book across the room or onto the floor if the author/book irritates you?
What!!! AHHHHH YOU MIGHT DAMAGE THE BOOK. No I just close the book, sometimes drop it.... If I don’t like the book at all. If the book was so bad then I get rid of it. But No, No chucking books!!



If you come across an unfamiliar word, do you look it up right away?
Depends what kind of book. I like to know, If one of my parents are just there then I ask them, but if the book is full of unfamiliar words like every ism you could think of then I just couldn’t be bothered looking up every one, some yes. The problem then was that I would promptly forget the meaning....


What are you currently reading?
NOTHING...... Can you believe that! Well maybe not nothing... thought it was too bad to be true! I’m reading the Bible (Psalms and 1 Kings) and Daddy is reading my sisters and I ‘The Invaders’ (part of the Brotherband series by John Flanagan) Tis torture to have to read them so slow... I have just finished (yesterday) ‘Alone on a Wide Wide Sea’ by Michael Morpurgo. The reason I haven’t started any others would be that I only have one left on my ‘reading list’.... Only One.....It is not quite 7 cm thick...... and it is called ‘Systematic Theology’. The size puts one off a bit...

What is the last book you bought?
New.....hmmmmm don’t remember.... A few years ago or a year ago... I bought a copy of ‘War Horse’ by Michael Morpurgo. Old Yes.. wait... which one? I bought about $40 worth of old books from the book fair a month ago.... lots of novels, biographies, the first book in the brotherband series, J.R.R. Tolkien books, Some Australian Poetry books... 



Do you have a favourite place/time to read? 
When I have time. No.

Do you prefer series books or stand-alones?
Don’t know, some series get worse as there get more of them, some don’t. In series the characters stories keep going longer...there is also more chance the author might kill more of them.. (How dare John Flanagan Kill Alyss!) 

Stand-alones can be better and can end with the MC dying, but sometimes they can die in a way that’s sorta ok... Sorta.



Is there a specific book you find yourself recommending over and over?
The BIBLE! O and all other good books! There are so many! J.R.R. Tolkien books can be reread so many times and they only get better, the Narnia series by CS Lewis and some of his other books are great too. 


As you can see in this picture I also have all sorts of things other than books on my shelves.

How do you organize your books?
I have them ordered. Well in a way, by their genre. Well I have most Australia books together but some of them are fiction and some aren’t. I have other genre’s together, sorta. Since I have three shelves of horse books, those are ordered by series and if they are not in series, by height so the tallest are at one end and the shortest at the other.

About how many books do you think you have read in your life? 
Wow um Hundreds...No if you count kids books then thousands.


About how many books do you own?
Yes I'm actually crazy enough to go and count them....I have approximately wait for it.....five hundred.... and that is underestimated....and not counting all my craft, cross stitch, quilting,  horse magazines etc.

Where’s the strangest place you’ve ever read a book? 
Well, probably at my grand parents house. Doesn't sound strange? Well I was walking around, outside reading. I kept crashing into things and nearly falling over. Apparently I looked rather strange. I've read books up trees, and maybe on the roof (not sure about this one), in the car, on the wardrobe floor and a lot of other places.



Do you buy new or used books, paperbacks or hardcovers, leather or collector’s? 
Yes. well they are all books.

How many books per month do you usually borrow from the library? 
Per year two.... I have so many I own that I have not yet had time to read and Sooooooo many more that Mummy owns that I haven't read yet. Why borrow books from the library? But this year I have actually read three from the library, two Rangers Apprentice books (I borrowed the rest from a friend) and One other book that the librarian recommended to my mum that I read. So I did, twas a fictional novel about a Jewish girl during the war. The book was very real...Twas called "The Wrong Boy" I forget who it is by. I liked it though, It was a short-listed book or something like that.

What do you think about the smell of old and new books?
I really like the smell of most old books... most we do have a set of old encyclopaedias or something like that, which smell deadly.... they remind me of lipstick and other stuff like that. (I hate the smell of most lipstick/lip balm, tis deadly!) New books normally smell nice, but I like old books better, normally.

Do you ever read the ending first? 
Um no but I wont say I never have and never will. because I think I have before. 

Yes you will probably award me the prize of unsure and undecidedness again (or whatever it was) with all those sortas I had in there. But I don’t want to say something that isn’t completely correct in a certain sort of way, like say it as if I am certain... At least I Think that is why...O no there I go again. I sorta think I’d better, maybe, um, stop.

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Sure do love your books! :) I didn't realise you had 500!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And the number five hundred is an underestimate..... and of course I keep getting more.

      Delete